- Published on Wednesday, 13 March 2013 12:53
- Written by Cai Nebe and Lynne Marie Fraser
Thousands of students and staff members abandoned lecture theatres on Wednesday February 20th to join hands in a protest march against the uncontrolled levels of crime and violence against women and children in South Africa.
- Published on Wednesday, 13 March 2013 12:52
- Written by Hannah Gauss
The University of Cape Town presents the new “First Year Experience” (FYE) project, a social and academic supportive co-operation between the university’s faculties, departments, facilities and mentorships for first-year students. It is aimed to decrease high dropout rates and academic failure.
- Published on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 14:53
- Written by Sandile Tshabalala
UCT students gathered in Obz Square Residence on March 4th to debate the 2013 National Budget Speech delivered the week before by Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan.
- Published on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 14:47
- Written by Temi Oketunji
Nomfundo Dlangisa, a third-year BCom Accounting student at UCT, recently qualified to attend the Spark SA Accelerator Program, which provides emerging social entrepreneurs with strategic support and financial grants to realise their budding community projects.
- Published on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 14:41
- Written by Stefanie Busch
With the commencement of Human Rights Month, the Department of Basic Education (DBE) and LEAD SA have launched the Stop Rape Campaign.
- Published on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 14:26
- Written by Sandile Ndelu
On March 2nd, members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Support (LGBTIS) community gathered together at this year’s Cape Town Gay Pride Parade.
- Published on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 14:04
- Written by Vincent Supparayen and Chris van der Westhuyzen
Learners from foreign countries studying at UCT expressed their concerns with the university at an International Students’ Forum on Wednesday, March 6th.
- Published on Friday, 08 March 2013 11:02
- Written by Asanda Ntshiqa
Campaign for Safe Community (CSC) co-ordinator, Dan Hofmeyr, and advocate, Thandokazi Njamela, address UCT students regarding the causes and prevention of crime in Khayelitsha, on Wednesday, February 27th.
- Published on Friday, 08 March 2013 09:53
- Written by Simone Oosthuizen
Members of the UCT community gathered on Thursday February 28th to discuss the high rate of sexual violence that has become ever more pervasive in South Africa.
- Published on Monday, 04 March 2013 23:00
- Written by Stefanie Busch
"Who is funding our politicians?" was on everybody’s mind on Thursday, February 28th, on Middle Campus at the ‘Political Party Funding’ talk, led by Hennie van Vuuren, former director of Institute for Security Studies.
- Published on Monday, 04 March 2013 22:14
- Written by Richard McLean
On Tuesday, February 26th students and activists from all over the greater Cape Town area gathered together outside parliament in protest.
- Published on Monday, 04 March 2013 21:49
- Written by Lauren Kieser
This year’s CANSA Shavathon had the air abuzz with more than just the sound of electric shavers at UCT’s Health Sciences Campus last week Friday, March 1st.
- A brighter future? Eskom’s pricing policy and its effect on South Africa
- “We test together. We stand together”
- Van Schaik Launches Interactive e-Textbook
- Project Tackles Homophobic Bullying
- North Korea Flexes Nuclear Muscle
- State of our Nation Address
- “I’m going into politics to save my country”
- Stand up against sexual violence
- Students pay respect to victims of violent crime
- 2013 SRC off to a good start