- Published on Tuesday, 13 March 2012 08:40
- Written by Alexandria S. Procter
The UCT Palestinian Solidarity Forum hosted a panel on the “Israel Apartheid Analogy” on Thursday the 8th of March.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:32
- Written by Joann Julius
Senior ANC MP Vincent Smith has asked that Parliament be relocated to Pretoria. In his words, “the decision to house the executive authority, the legislative and judicial authority in separate places was as a result of a political arrangement in 1910 by a white government”. He further went on to say that “the decision [has] led to unnecessary costs for travel and accommodation, and had an effect on productivity”.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:30
- Written by Shannon Holcroft
When I boarded the bus to my first SHAWCO meeting, I was amazed at the assortment of foreign voices I heard chattering away: Eastern European, Canadian, plenty of Americans – but our South African accent was strangely absent.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:29
- Written by Justin Bellamy
America, at its best, is a nation that brings its ideals of liberty, justice, freedom and equality to life for all of her citizens. Indeed, the U.S. constitution is a vibrant text that delineates the rights of U.S. citizens, regardless of race, religion, colour, sex or creed.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:27
- Written by Berndt Hannweg
Religion, like politics, is one of those verboten topics that no-one really likes to bring up in conversation. And if you do bring them up, it’s generally with someone whose preferences on both you already understand.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:25
- Written by Josh Benjamin
When the dust of historical calamities settles, there is no more pressing and pertinent responsibility than to preserve the history of the persecuted.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:24
- Written by Bruce Baigrie & Liam Minné
The University of Cape Town Palestine Solidarity Forum (PSF) was established in 2010 with the aim of promoting social justice in Israel and Palestine. In doing so, the PSF promotes action, debate and education around the issue, while striving to combat all forms of anti-Semitism or Islamophobia.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:22
- Written by Ziyana Lategan
In the article which appeared in VARSITY entitled “It’s not racist, it’s a joke”, the writer critiques the role humour plays in enforcing racial stereotypes, particularly against those classified as “coloured”, claiming that the humour “erodes the very democracy for which we have struggled”.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:21
- Written by Anonymous
In the previous edition of VARSITY (edition 2, February 28th), the term “geeks” in Katy Scott’s article caught my eye. Upon learning that a group of seven-year-olds were granted access to iPads for educational reasons, I wasn’t very opinioned to begin with, but some thoughts came to mind, which is why I’m writing this article.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:19
- Written by Rhynhardt Krynauw
Text. The lack thereof is somewhat demoralising. Especially with that bloody cursor flashing at me.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:18
- Written by Lyndall Thwaits
The first time I overheard three girls in a lecture discussing how they couldn’t relax without taking a little magic pill, I stopped. The second time I overheard something about a “delightful drug”, I knew I needed to say something – because I was an addict.
- Published on Monday, 12 March 2012 13:16
- Written by Stephanie Venter
I wonder if anyone remembers that the Jammie drivers were in plain clothes last Wednesday, March 8th. I, for one, noticed this as I hopped on the morning shuttle, but further than this I didn’t think.